Waltonville Firefighter Injured During Bonnie House Fire

Waltonville Firefighter Injured During Bonnie House Fire

BONNIE – A Waltonville firefighter suffered minor injuries Wednesday night while working a residential structure fire in Bonnie.

According to Assistant Waltonville Fire Chief Scott Pennington, they responded around 6:25 p.m. Wednesday to a report of a fire at a home in the 11-thousand block of East Bonnie Road.

While fighting the blaze, a plastic box of batteries exploded as the firefighter was walking by. He was knocked to the ground and suffered temporary hearing damage. Pennington also said ammunition was going off inside the home as they fought the fire. The home is reportedly a complete loss.

He added it appeared the fire started on the rear patio of the pole-barn style home, but the cause isn’t clear at this time.

Woodlawn, Sesser and Mt. Vernon City provided automatic mutual aid.