SOUTHERN ILLINOIS – Illinois public health officials reported 5,644 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, including 106 additional deaths. Hundreds of cases and multiple deaths were reported among southern Illinois health departments.
The total number of cases reported statewide stands at 948,006, including 16,179 deaths.
Local case breakdown:
- Williamson County: 60
- Jackson County: 35, one death
- Franklin County: 34
- Union County: 32
- Jefferson County: 30, three deaths
- Saline County: 23, one death
- Perry County: 20
- Hamilton County: 16
- White County: 13
- Johnson County: six
- Gallatin, Massac and Pope counties: three each
- Alexander County: two
- Pulaski County: two, one death
- Hardin County: one
The preliminary seven-day statewide positivity for cases as a percent of total test from Dec. 22–28 is 7.4 percent.