HARRISBURG – In a pair of releases, The Shawnee National Forest announced Wednesday indefinite closures of offices, all developed campgrounds and restrooms, citing the health and safety of visitors and staff in response to spread of the novel Coronavirus.
“As we work through an unpredictable and rapidly changing situation, health and safety is our number one priority,” Karen Harralson, Acting Forest Supervisor, said in the release. ”We are committed to continuing to support our communities and fulfill our mission as we all work together to minimize the impacts and spread of COVID-19.””
The closures include the following:
- Johnson Creek Campground – Jackson County
- Pine Hills Campground – Union County
- Camp Cadiz Campground – Hardin County
- Pharaoh Campground at Garden of the Gods – Saline County
- Pine Ridge Campground at Pounds Hollow – Gallatin County
- Tower Rock Campground – Hardin County
In place of offices, Shawnee has implemented virtual services. Visitors were encouraged to contact their local district ranger’s office for further details.